I've adapted this from so many different recipes because I just wanted one that had easy ingredients that I always have in the pantry and fridge. Yes the whole flax seed and chia seed and wheat germ and that health stuff would be nice, but I'm not be to go out and buy it because I would hardly use it. SO, without further ado, this is my concoction that tastes oh-so-good I want it for breakfast, a snack, and dessert ;)
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 scoop of whey protein powder (we had vanilla)
1/2 cup crushed oat bran cereal
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
2 egg whites-beaten
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup honey
2 tbs peanut butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
I've made a few batches and have mixed up the additives so get creative. Also, I ended up eliminating the egg whites and just upping the applesauce to 2/3 cup. You'll have to experiment and adjust depending on how chewy you like the bars to be.
Preheat oven to 325. Line 9 in. baking pan with sprayed aluminum foil.
1. mix dry ingredients in one bowl (- brown sugar)
2. mix wet ingredients in another bowl (+ brown sugar)
3. Combine together and place in pan. Flatten outmixture in pan (I use bottom of measuring cup to smooth and compress)
4. Bake 30 minutes or until firm and lightly browned on edges.
5. Let cool and use foil to lift out of pan. Cut into bars or squares. Store in fridge.